Summer is the perfect time to get caught up on a little light reading. I know, I know. You’re busy. Reading seems like a luxury you can’t afford right now. But trust me, if you’re reading the right books, it’s actually considered working.
What do I mean by “the right books”? I mean the works that apply to what you’re hoping to achieve with your real estate business. The books that you can learn from and that will inspire you with ideas you can use to make your business grow.
When you’re lounging by the pool with one of these books in your hands, you can honestly say, “Hey, I’m working here!”
- What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow….and 36 Other Key Financial Measures by Frank Gallinelli. This is one of the best books to get yourself acquainted with the financial formulas that will help you determine if a property is a worthy investment. But even if you’ve been investing for awhile now, it’s not a bad idea to have this on hand as a quick reference whenever you’re running the numbers on a potential investment.
- How I Turned $1,000 into Five Million in Real Estate in my Spare Time by William Nickerson. This is one of the most inspiring books I’ve read. The premise is all about how Nickerson went from no money to LOTS of money by using a “buy low, rent, trade up” strategy that allowed him to leverage his investments and skyrocket his profits. Even if this isn’t your chosen method for investing, it’s stimulating read that will galvanize you to action.
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and Dave Jenks. I like this book because it’s written in a relatable and easy-to-read format that gives a great overview of investment theory. Extremely motivating and just plain interesting, it’s a great poolside read.
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason. This one isn’t for everyone due to its unique format, but it’s definitely worth a look. Written as a collection of stories set in ancient Babylon, this books doles out advice on everything from building successful businesses to managing wealth to basic lessons in financial wisdom. Honestly, this is hands-down a fantastic book for anyone interested in learning how to manage their money and grow their wealth better - not just investors.
- The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner. Packed full of practical advice for investors, this book covers everything you need to know about investing in rental property. One of my favorite sections is about why so many investors fail and let me tell you, it is eye-opening. Beyond that, the book details different strategies you can follow, along with tips on property scouting, financing, management, and lots more.
Each of these books has made a difference in my life in some way. They’ve shaped me as an investor, and they can do the same thing for you. Learn from them, let them inspire you, and use what’s inside to help you propel yourself and your business to the very top.