by Spire’s Kevin Kurland sells stake
Date Publish: Friday May 26, 2017

Kevin Kurland, a co-founder of the residential brokerage Spire Group, has sold his stake in the 100 percent commission firm.

Kurland, who previously ran Kurland Realty before launching Spire in 2011, told The Real Deal that he’d been looking to exit the company. “I ran two brokerages consecutively for about 18 years,” he said. “An opportunity presented itself for me to get a nice payout. I was on board with selling my shares.”

Terms of the deal, which closed March 31, were not disclosed. Spire co-founder Bianka Yankov is stepping into the CEO role.

Kurland will be a full-time agent for at least a year, focusing on selling luxury real estate until that time. But he’s also plotting his next move, hopefully working in-house for a developer or property management company. “I can grind,” Kurland said, ‘[But] I want to do something different with more of a marketing focus.”

As one of the city’s few firms that pay agents 100 percent commission, Spire ranked No. 11 on The Real Deal’s list of mid-sized firms in 2015 with $21 million in listings at that time. The firm, which has 135 agents, fell off of last year’s list with $19.9 million in listings, according to TRD data. Kurland said 40 percent of Spire’s deals are sales; the other 60 percent are rentals.

He said he’s still bullish on Spire and the 100 percent commission model, which is shared by companies like Charles Rutenberg and Kian Realty.

“We think the industry is heading in that direction,” he said. “We attracted a lot of good agents so I think the future is bright at Spire.”

All Articles

talking manhattan | bianka yankov & mark weinstock of spire - Jan 29, 2019
Noah Rosenblatt, Medium
martina's story - Jan 14, 2019
rent that was too good to last - Aug 30, 2018
Joyce Cohen, The New York Times
a home to reshape in his image - May 17, 2018
Joyce Cohen, The New York Time
bunny mellon’s manhattan aerie sells - Apr 11, 2018
FANG BLOCK, Mansion Global
el apartamento de la mítica 'bunny mellon' en central park - Feb 6, 2018
see inside bunny mellon's central park south apartment - Jan 18, 2018
SAM DANGREMOND, Town & Country
central park south condo of bunny mellon seeks $9m - Jan 8, 2018
Amy Plitt, Curbed.com
bunny mellon’s central park aerie lists for $8.9 million - Dec 20, 2017
bunny mellon’s manhattan pad hits market for $8.9m - Dec 20, 2017
FANG BLOCK, Manison Global
aileen getty buys adam dell’s $19m townhouse - Jul 3, 2017
Page Six Team, Page Six
spire’s kevin kurland sells stake - May 26, 2017
Spire’s Kevin Kurland sells stake
spire’s kevin kurland sells stake in 100% commission firm - May 24, 2017
E.B. Solomont , The Real Deal
3 apartments with doormen to see this weekend - Nov 12, 2015
Emily Nonko, DNA Info | New York
the most style you'll ever see packed into 1000 square feet - Jul 2, 2014
Mitchell Owens, Elle Decor
mid-sized firms see shake up - May 1, 2014
Katherine Clarke, The Real Deal
the ultimate chemistry test: speed dating for roommates - Apr 22, 2014
The Wall Street Journal
byow: top spire agents make their own vino on team retreat - Oct 9, 2013
Rew Staff, Real Estate Weekly
spire launches 'be 100% happy' campaign - May 1, 2013
The Real Deal
spire group celebrates 'happy' start to season - May 1, 2013
spire featured in the real deal 'how residential brokerages celebrated 2 - Dec 24, 2012
Leigh Kamping-Carder, The Real Deal
'redefine the way you live' with a $15k rental at 40 bond - Oct 22, 2012
Jessica Dailey, Curbed NewYork
nyc’s best firms to work for - Sep 1, 2012
Leigh Kamping-Carder, The Real Deal
business booming as boutiques expand - May 10, 2012
Rew Staff, Real Estate Weekly
top negotiating mistakes of sellers and their brokers - Jan 18, 2012
Teri Karush Rogers, Brick Underground
how to appeal a co-op board turndown - Jan 10, 2012
Teri Karush Rogers, Brick Underground
health of the small business economy - Jan 7, 2012
77WABC Radio
basketball star's soho pad back on market - Aug 11, 2011
Amanda Fung, Crains New York
architecture firm sawacki tarella to buy building for $3 million - Mar 7, 2011
Ronald Li, Real Estate Weekly
what you get in a hotel condo - Feb 12, 2006
C. J. Hughes, New York Times